By Emsie Martin
Christmas is around the corner and soon the doorbell will ring and you will be welcoming your guests and loved ones. Are you ready and have you made sure that the financial responsibilities and preparations are in place? Perhaps you have been caught unawares. Don’t panic, following are some hints that you could consider for any last-minute shopping.
According to Carla Oberholzer, debt advisor at DebtSafe, “It isn’t really frugal to leave your shopping until the last minute. There are three types of scenarios why Christmas gifts will have to be purchased at the last minute and should of course not cost an arm and a leg in the process:
- Things were financially tough during the year and you haven’t yet been able to buy gifts, as your budget is limited.
- It is easy to may have forgotten a few people on your Christmas list – the past couple of months have been so hectic.
- Christmas crept up on you and you are panicking to finish the last few ‘affordable’ gift purchases in time.”
Here are some shopping hints that you could consider with regard to Christmas gifts:
- See to it that you have a Christmas supply or gift list and write down your plan of action as soon as possible, as your time is limited.
- Look out for cheap prices and genuine bargains.
- Compare prices of the items you need to buy and select shops close to your home to save on fuel in the process.
- Make sure you don’t overspend and stick to your list.
- Make sure you are satisfied with the items in your shopping basket.
- Don’t go to shops just to have a peek at what’s there – you will always find items you ‘need’.
- Pack a gift basket for someone special. How about a dinner packet with a recipe and affordable ingredients included?
- Or, consider something like a ‘pamper gift packet’ and Christmas stocking initiative by buying a long stocking/sock and filling it with affordable tasty goodies.
- The gift of an experience: Give a loved one a hand-made gift voucher or coupon for a cookery or baking class, a free haircut, art class or a photo session.
- Make use of free delivery offers when you do your shopping online. It’s always great to buy a gift in the comfort of your own home – and at a good price to boot. And, not to pay for its delivery.
11, What about cookies, sauces, jams or syrup as gifts? You can make home-made gifts and for example use lemons from your lemon tree for that delicious (cordial) syrup, that everybody likes.
- Browse through the bargain shelves in the shop. BUT please make sure that the items there are actually on your supply list or gift list, and really are on ‘discount’.
- You can always decide not to buy gifts.
- Quality time together with your loved ones is worth much more than physical presents.
- To buy nothing must be the most precious and thriftiest Christmas hint of all.
Affordable Christmas gifts are available at the last minute, but try to keep things simple and put some heart and love into it.
May you and your loved ones have a blessed Christmas and a great time over the holidays.